The rules for driving, passports, EHIC cards, pet travel and more may change from 1 January 2021. Act now so you can travel as planned.

You need to take your Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence with you to drive abroad. Check yours is still valid and renew your driving licence online if it’s expired or about to expire. You’ll need to apply to renew your licence at least a week before you travel.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you also need to take your log book (V5C) and your insurance certificate.

If you’re taking a vehicle abroad that you’ve hired or leased in the UK, you’ll need a VE103 certificate.

Check if you need an international driving permit (IDP)

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some non-EU countries. Check if you need an IDP.

You can get IDPs over the counter at the Post Office. You might need one for each country you’re visiting.

Do not apply for an IDP if you’re moving abroad. You’ll need to either exchange your UK licence or apply for a new one in the country you’re moving to.

Check the overseas driving rules

Make sure you follow overseas driving rules, including local speed limits and drink driving laws. You may be breaking the law and get a fine if you do not.

Depending on the country you’re visiting you may need:

  • extra equipment – for example, you need a reflective jacket and a warning triangle in many countries
  • emission stickers (permits) in some European cities – you may need to buy these weeks before you go abroad
  • headlight converter stickers
  • GB sticker

If you’re hiring a car, it’s your responsibility to check you have the equipment you need.

Check the rules in European countries on the AA website.

Check the travel advice for countries outside Europe.

Check your insurance if you’re taking your own vehicle

Your UK vehicle insurance gives you a minimum of third party cover to drive your vehicle in EU countries. Check with your insurer if your policy covers extra things like theft or damage.

In non-EU countries, you may need additional insurance and a ‘green card’ to show you’re covered. Check the travel advice for countries outside the EU.

Towing your trailer or caravan abroad

Check if you need to register your trailer before you can take it abroad.

In non-EU countries, you may need additional insurance and a ‘green card’ for each trailer or caravan you tow. Check with your insurance provider before you travel.

Hiring a car abroad

Your hire company may ask to see your driving licence information when you pick up the car. You can share this by getting a licence ‘check code’. You can do this up to 21 days before your trip.

If you’re hiring a car, insurance is included. Check what you’re covered for with the hire company.

Getting On ‘The Right Road’

Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.

  • Competitive rates
  • Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
  • Test success in as few lessons as possible
  • Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
  • New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
  • Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
  • Driving lessons seven days a week

As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:

Don’t Forget!

Theory Test Pro – FREE!

Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.

Theory Test Pro

> Find Out More

Currently Browsing: What Do You Need To Know About Driving Abroad?